Saturday 30 June 2018

Python - Some month end observations...

Final Thoughts

I have thoroughly enjoyed programming in Python this month. I have been surprised by the huge ecosystem of free packages that is available. Any VBA developer who is frustrated not to find a helpful COM library for a particular task should definitely investigate the Python ecosystem as chances are someone has already written it.

I didn't complete everything I wanted. I will continue to work through the agenda in my head. In fact Python will now definitely feature on this blog regularly alongside VBA, Javascript and others.

Miscellany

A miscellany of thoughts not substantial enough to warrant their own blog posts

VBA Programmers should stop Shelling and use the Gateway Class design pattern instead

Perusing StackOverflow it seems very many devs are using Shell to run Python when they could be using the Gateway class design pattern, plnety of examples on this blog this month.

VBA Programmers should stop using Python with the Script Control and use the Gateway Class design pattern instead

I have used the ScriptControl for Javascript and have had some success calling Javascript features from VBA (such as parsing JSON). So I know ScriptControl is not good for debugging. I'd use Visual Studio to debug and I'd use a Gateway class to invoke the exact same script file instead of having to adjust the Python code for injection into ScriptControl. Besides I think money is required to run Python on the ScriptControl in production. Whereas the gateway class approach is free.

Python is a script but it is compiled

One can see __pychache__ directories containing *.pyc files which may not be machine code but are in fact byte code. This is reassuring and ought to aid performance for a script technology.

Python has a virtual machine

According to this SO answer

Python Bootcamps

Just some links to some Python bootcamp listings

No comments:

Post a Comment