Monday 2 October 2017

ActiveDirectory with VBA Part 2 - Technet AD LDS Sample Instance

So following on from installing Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) in Part 1 here I follow the Technet tutorial Practice Working with AD LDS Instances and I supply the screenshots as I go.

So we run the Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services Setup Wizard and I did do this by searching for it with the Windows 8 metro search box, after allowing permission I get the following welcome box

Clicking Next I get to next box and choose 'A unique instance'

For the instance name I accept the default as I am following the tutorial. If you are doing these twice then instance1 is taken, you may want to skip to Part 3 where I show how to delete an instance.

For the port numbers again things will be different if you have already run these steps once and already have an instance because each instance must listen on a different port. See Part 3 for how to delete an instance.

Because we're opening ports then you may get a firewall warning message like this so I select private networks only...

And again I am following the tutorial so I follow instructions, create an application directory partition and give the Partition name as in the tutorial as 'o=Microsoft,c=US'.

Next we accept the default file locations

Next use Nework service account as per tutorial

Then you will get a replication not available type warning box, click Yes to continue.

Then you get the AD LDS Administrators box, note I have airbrushed my details from this slide. Click the default value of Currently logged on user.

On the Importing LDIF Files. Select the following MS-InetOrgPerson.ldf, MS-User.ldf, MS-UserProxy.ldf, MS-UserProxyFull.ldf, MS-ADLDS-DisplaySpecifiers.ldf. NOT ALL OF THESE ARE IMMEDIATELY VISIBLE, YOU NEED TO SCROLL

Then you get a confirmation screen...

Then it does some work...

Then you get some success splash screen.

Now you can write some code to connect to this new AD LDS instance. This should work if you went wrong you'll need to use Part 3 to delete instance and try again


Option Explicit

Sub Test()

    Dim oDirectoryService As Object
    Set oDirectoryService = GetObject("LDAP://localhost:389/o=Microsoft,c=US")
    Debug.Assert TypeName(oDirectoryService) = "Object"

End Sub


No comments:

Post a Comment