Sunday 14 April 2019

Multiple instances of Excel

Past versions of Excel will create new processes when asked and one can go look at the Task Manager for proof. Of late Excel will merge instances. For most people this is probably a good feature. However if you want to restore process isolation then one has to fiddle in the registry.

This Microsoft Support article shows how to add a registry setting but it does not work for me!

In the meantime I have discovered that holding the ALT key down whilst launching new Excel instance throws a dialog box saying "Do you want to start a new instance of Excel? (Yes/No)", this is shown in this Microsoft article. This is a good workaround for the time being but I would like the registry setting to work.

if you happen to know please add a comment below or tweet me @excel_developer or you can answer the StackOverflow question I have opened .

On StackOverflow I have been advised from that a command line Excel.exe /x – will generate new instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment